Sunday, May 11, 2003



Isn't that the loveliest looking cup of coffee you've ever seen? It sure makes this mug of Eight O'Clock Hazelnut Coffee that I'm drinking right now look kind of lame. Check out this article on Seattle's most exacting coffee master, the guy with the highest standards in a city that views coffee the way Buffalo views chicken wings.

I own a Krups espresso machine, but I don't use it that often because I misplaced the instructions in a move some years back, and I'm not entirely sure now of how to get the best results. Am I supposed to tamp the grounds into the filter basket, or do I level them loosely? Do I brew the espresso right into the demitasse cups, or do I brew it into the glass carafe and then pour it into the cups? Why is it that I never get that beautiful foam on top of my espresso?

I do grind my own beans, which is something, I guess. No "Taster's Choice" for me. I like to think that if Sam Jackson and John Travolta ever drop by, looking to dispose of some poor slob they've accidentally shot in the face, they'd be impressed with my coffee; but reading about this Seattle fellow, I'm not so sure.

(BTW: The linked article was written by Jon Bonne, who also wrote the articles I linked a few weeks back about the privately-developed space ship. This guy is getting paid to write articles about things that interest me, and they're generally fascinating articles, too. Therefore, I both admire him and want to kill him.)

No comments: