Thursday, May 01, 2003

IMAGE OF THE WEEK





Lighthouse at Presque Isle State Park, Erie, PA.

I was noodling around looking for photos of lighthouses along the Great Lakes (the photo links to the fine site I discovered), and I found this one. I've been going to Presque Isle for years, and I never knew there was a lighthouse there, although it makes sense. Presque Isle isn't really an isle; it's a sandy peninsula that sticks out into Lake Erie and curls around, like a finger, creating a sheltered harbor for the city of Erie. It's also one of the most beautiful state parks I've ever been to, with its combination of lake views, sandy beaches, forests that give way to wetlands as you go farther out, et cetera. On the lake side, you can look out and see big ships plying the waters of Lake Erie; on the harbor side, there are usually sailboats and water-skiers and sea kayaks and whatnot. The park has great bike trails and walking paths, and it's one of the neatest places in the northeast.

No comments: