Monday, December 30, 2013

What I said, when I said it: the best of 2013!

I think this blog really took a marked shift in focus this year, as it feels like I did a lot less lengthy essay-type writing in this space. I'm guessing this is mainly because I put my focus almost entirely on my fiction work this year, after deciding in 2011 that it was time to stop saying "I hope to be a writer someday" and start saying "I am a writer". My book and movie writing dropped off substantially, which dismays me a little. It's not like I wasn't reading and watching new stuff, but I didn't write about it nearly as much as usual in 2013.

Anyway, here's a selection of posts that I particularly like from the year just passing into memory. And as always, I did some (I think!) good writing for the February and August editions of Ask Me Anything!, as well as the April A to Z.

Tip your servers, folks!
Remembering the VIC-20
On Lemons
Snark sucks
Of chickens and crockpots

Let thy freak flag fly!
On 'Bronies' and fandom
On Roger Ebert
On personal blogging
When I was a kid, I wanted to be Bud Herseth

Hey baseball! F*** your shaving-cream-on-a-towel!
Random thoughts on Once Upon a Time
When The Muse taunts me
You're not a special snowflake, Buffalo.
My (now useless) nomination for Twelfth Doctor

Cold-brewing coffee
The rules for reading
In praise of Bugles
On Tennyson
On Breaking Bad and binge-watching

LouisCK is full of crap.
Encyclopedia Brown's life of crime
Favorite back roads of WNY
Snapshots from Ithaca

My rules for writing
A night with the Buffalo Philharmonic
On whining about other people's content
Another year, another NaNoWriMo victory!
Self-publishing: Here I come!



Books I wrote about this year:

Bleyer, Me the People: One Man's Selfless Quest to Rewrite the Constitution of the United States of America
Bujold: Cetaganda
Campbell: The Lost Fleet: Dauntless
Reese: Make the Bread, Buy the Butter
Scalzi: Redshirts

Films I wrote about this year (these aren't all "in-depth" essays):

Amistad
Apollo 13
Casablanca
Les Miserables
Sneakers
Star Trek Into Darkness

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

Whatever you post, I will be reading it!