Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sunday Burst of Weird and Awesome (Halloween edition)

Oddities and Awesome abound...and never more so than around Halloween!

:: Cal had a link a while back that really gave me the willies. It's a practice I'd read about and then promptly forgotten, because it was creepy and ghoulish and in complete defiance of my usual ability to be able to think along the lines of, "Yeah, while I'm glad we're not doing that anymore, I can kinda sorta see how someone thought that was a good idea." We're talking about the Victorian practice of photographing their dead -- and not just taking photos of the dead in their caskets, but elaborately posing their dead, sometimes as if they're very much alive in the family photo.

:: Cracked.com opines on what they think is the scariest book ever written. I've never read this...don't even recall ever seeing it. Maybe I'll look into it one of these days.

:: Want some spooky classical and film music? Sure you do!

Rachmaninov, The Isle of the Dead:


Berlioz, Symphonie fantastique, Movement V: "The Dream of the Witches' Sabbath".


John Williams, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: the Sacrifice.


Howard Shore, The Silence of the Lambs:


Jerry Goldsmith, Alien:


Have a spooky week!

No comments: