Saturday, October 06, 2012

Halloween Questions!

SamuraiFrog answered these questions, so I figured I would, too...although, Halloween is the one holiday that I always think that I should get into more than I actually do. I'm not sure why that is...maybe it's because I'm too busy grooving on how happy I am that it's fall and my favorite month to really indulge my enjoyment of scary stuff. Not sure...but anyway, the questions!

(1) What's your favorite Halloween costume ever?

In all honesty, I only remember a single Halloween costume...but it was pretty awesome. My favorite superhero as a small child was Captain Marvel (SHAZAM!!!), so my mother hand-made me a Captain Marvel suit. It was amazing...and I think she might still have it stashed someplace at the Original Casa Jaquandor. I wore it in Kindergarten and in 1st grade, which was the last time I ever trick-or-treated. (In second grade I think the town we lived in discouraged the practice, in third and fourth grade I decided it was more fun to just hand out candy, and after that, we moved to a place that wasn't really in a 'neighborhood', per se.)

The Daughter has had a bunch of nifty ones, such as Swiftheart Rabbit (one of the non-bear Care Bears, and as a vampire queen, both hand-made by The Wife).

(2) What's your favorite Halloween candy (or other treat)?

I know so few people who love candy corn, and yet it's everywhere in October...and I love it! So there! And malted milk balls are great...but every year I'd forget the difference between them and Milk Duds, which are EVIL. Popcorn balls were nifty -- still are, I suppose. And Almond Joy, huzzah!

(3) Name the scariest book you've ever read?

Steven King's IT was pretty disturbing. But for giving me the heebie-jeebies as I read it, nothing's ever matched my first reading of John Bellairs's The Letter, the Witch, and the Ring. I was eleven or twelve, and there are some very creepy scenes in that book. Now, it's a Young Adult book and by today's standards it's pretty tame stuff. But I've never since read anything that had me wanting quite as bad to sleep with all the lights on.

(4) Who's the best movie vampire ever:
(a) Bela Lugosi
(b) George Hamilton
(c) Tom Cruise
(d) Robert Pattinson


I've got to agree with SamuraiFrog on this -- the fact that Pattinson is on the list (they're not even vampires, folks!) instead of Christopher Lee is pretty dispiriting. And I liked Gary Oldman, too.

(5) Who'd win in a fist fight? Sookie or Bella?

OK, this is dumb. I don't even know who Sookie is.

(6) Are you superstitious? How?

Nope.

(7) Frankenberry, Count Chocula, or Boo Berry?

Here's something you didn't know: I've never had any of these. I'm just not that into the sugary cereals. If I want a sweet cereal, I'll go for Golden Grahams every time. (I've been in the mood to revisit Honeycomb for the first time in 30 years, though, and compare notes with my memory....)

(8) Will you dress up this year? If so, as what?

Highly unlikely that I will. The Store encourages dressing up on the Saturday before Halloween, but I don't work Saturdays. Nor do I get invited to dress-up Halloween parties (and that's not a complaint!), so I don't have a whole lot of opportunities. I'll spend it like always: in overalls. (Which, funnily enough, end up being a component of a lot of costumes for others!)

3 comments:

Jason said...

FYI, Sookie is the heroine of the True Blood TV series and Charlaine Harris' "Southern Vampire Mysteries," on which that series is based. And she'd totally take down that mopey slob Bella... ;)

Mimi said...

I'm kind of scarred that I know who Sookie is (although, in my defense, I've not read them)

It wasn't until the last year or two that I'd had Boo Berry cereal. It wasn't all that.

Jason said...

Mimi, the Sookie books (easier than "Southern Vampire Mysteries," or "those books that True Blood are based on") are actually a lot of fun, good solid mysteries with well-drawn characters and an increasingly complex supernatural world as the series builds from book to book. IMO, anyhow... :)