Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A helpful hint

If you ever use the construction "I'm not a _____, but....", rethink what you're saying before you say it publicly. "I'm not a bigot, but Muslims at the airport scare me" is an asshole thing to say. And so is "I don't hate fat people, but boy howdy, I sure don't want to have to look at them!".

OK, that's not an exact quote, but it's pretty much what Maura Kelly says in that piece. I'm sure she struggled hard to find the right words to get her point across; how sad that the point she actually got across was not the one she thought she was getting across. But then, it's so often amazing to see an asshole shouting from the rooftops without ever realizing that what they're shouting up there is actually, "Hey! Everybody! I'm an asshole!"

1 comment:

M. D. Jackson said...

I'm completely gobsmacked at that article. I'm glad to read that the woman was taken to task for her blatant prejudice. How is it that people like that can live for so many years and yet be so insulated from the real world. She really needs to give her head a shake before someone shakes it for her.