Thursday, February 07, 2013

Something for Thursday

The opera overtures of Franz von Suppe have been a staple of 'light classical music' concerts for over a century, and I see no reason for that to stop any time soon. Von Suppe's overtures are wonderfully melodic, packed with drama, and wonderfully orchestrated. Most of all, they're just fun to listen to. I return to these time and again, for what I hope is obvious reason. Here are a few of them.

Morning, Noon, and Night in Vienna:


Light Cavalry:


Jolly Robbers


We played that one in high school, actually, and that opening fanfare for the trumpets was terrifying. It starts with a high F, which is one of the hardest notes to nail on that instrument (because of the physics involved in how the instrument works). The level of exposure, right at the beginning, was well and truly scary.

And finally, my favorite, Poet and Peasant:


Enjoy!

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

2 & 4 are on some compilation of various overtures (inc William Tell) I own.

Lynn said...

Wow. Poet and Peasant is MY favorite too.

Every time I hear Morning, Noon and Night in Vienna I see Bugs Bunny.