Saturday, February 16, 2013

Saturday Centus (Lemon Paczki edition)

I know, I've missed a few more since my new-found commitment to, well, not missing a few. Sorry! Anyhoo, here's my take on this week's prompt.

By way of explanation, it helps for folks not from 'round here to know that these delights are a long-proud tradition in Buffalo on Mardi-gras, owing to this region's large Polish community.

Lemon paczki! (I may have mangled that spelling...it's pronounced 'Poonch-key').

An East-side Buffalo bakery, just before midnight....

“We’re closed up, Fred...oh no. Not again.”

“I think I got it this time, Joe.”

Fred huddled over an enormous pocket of fried and sugared dough, one foot in diameter, quivering as if alive. A hose ran from its side to the filling machine.

“It’ll never work, Fred!”

“No! Just a bit more filling...there...there! I’ve officially reached critical mass! I’ve DONE IT!”

Cracks formed in the dough....

“Fred! Duck!”

Too late.

KA-BOOM!!!

Joe wiped lemon filling from his eyes. “Ummm...get me a mop?”

“Igor obeys, Doctor Pastrystein,” Fred grumbled.

Mardi-gras in Buffalo.

9 comments:

Viki said...

LOL, punchki's (or however, you spell it). I had one for fat Tuesday. Great take on this prompt.

Eden House News and views said...

Yummy bet they tasted good , you might need my log after eating tho!!!!
I could do with taking part in my blog

Susan Anderson said...

hahaha

Good one! You really painted a vivid picture here.

=)

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

As I used to work in a donut shop eons ago, I find this to be truly funny.
Good Saturday Centus!

moondustwriter said...

that's the kind of explosion you want to clean up...
Delightful Centus

21 Wits said...

Ingenious way to make me change my breakfast plans!

Judie said...

Lemon filling, you say? Move over! I'll help!!!

LC Scotty said...

Fred? Interesting choice of name...

http://wnyheritagepress.org/photos_week_2007/freddies/freddies.htm

Jenny said...

Thanks heavens it wasn't raspberry!

Wouldn't that have been gruesome - ha!

I love the way you wrote this!

You are so incredibly creative.