I'm stealing this from Sunday Stealing. It's been a while since I stole from them, but I liked the way this one looked.
1. Depending on your age, go back 10, 15, 20, or even more years.
2. Tell us how many years back you have traveled and why.
3. Pretend you have met yourself during that era, and tell us where you are.
4. You only have one "date" with this former self.
5. Answer these questions.
Okay, as we start, what year is it and how old are you?
I've gone back 22 years, to myself at age 17 as I'm entering college.
1. Would your younger self (YYS, from here) recognize you when you first meet?
I greatly doubt it. He might think there's something vaguely familiar about this guy, though.
2. Would YYS be surprised to discover what you are doing job wise?
Extremely! He'd be shocked to learn that I ended up in retail, instead of in music; he'd be stunned, in fact, to learn that he wouldn't even finish getting his degree in music but switch to Philosophy. He'd be shocked to learn that years from now, he'll develop a fascination with tools (both hand and power) and find a desire to take up woodworking as a hobby. I don't think he'd be surprised at all to learn that the desire to write is still there.
3. What piece of fashion advice would you give YYS?
"Look, son," says I, "at this point in your life, that hairstyle you've got going in is utterly Godawful. You're fascinated by the idea of having long hair, right? Well, clearly you gave in, so you might as well go ahead and give in now."
His eyes are wide. "Wow!" he says. "And I can grow a beard, too?"
"Well...eventually. For whatever reason, it takes a few more years past the college age before any beard you grow won't look Amish because your mustache refuses to come in. It'll get there."
"OK, I'll wait on the mustache. What about all these shirts and stuff?"
"You got something else to ask?"
"Yeah. Are those overalls in style in 22 years?"
"Not really. But you'll realize that you don't care."
4. What do you think YYS is most going to want to know?
"Am I ever going to have a girlfriend?"
5. How would you answer YYS's question?
"Yup. But first, stop doing that 'creepy stalker' thing. They hate that."
"Wow! Is she really pretty?"
"Yes, she is. And the best thing is, she'll get prettier every year you know her. Oh, and she'll wear overalls too."
6. What would probably be the best thing to tell YYS?
"You will live to see a black President. And he won't be a Republican."
7. What is something that you probably wouldn't tell YYS?
"How about kids?" he asks. "Because right now I don't think I want kids."
"Yeah, well...there are gonna be some curveballs there. Best you find those out on your own."
8. What do you think will most surprise YYS about you?
That real love isn't as distant as he thinks.
9. What do you think will least surprise YYS?
That he will live in Buffalo.
10. At this point in your life, would YYS like to run into "you" from the future?
Maybe not. I think that on some levels he'll be disappointed, but that's because of things he doesn't know yet.