Sunday, January 10, 2010

Creativity: I has it



SamuraiFrog saw fit to bestow upon me a "Creative Blogger" award of some sort, regarding "Creative Blogging". Hence the title. Wow, I can parse words! I is a reader!

Anyway, I tend to be awful about passing these kinds of things on, which I used to justify along the lines of "Crap, who has time for that?", but which I've come to see a bit as "Hmmmm, it's this kind of thing that used to make Blogistan really nifty, and maybe the passing of this kind of thing has helped make Blogistan a little less nifty." I mean, Blogistan's still cool and all, but it's come in recent years to resemble a bit that favorite store of yours that was All Kinds of Awesome when it opened, but now that it's been a few years, you still like to go in there, but maybe there's a little more open floorspace where there used to be merchandise, and maybe there's merchandise that doesn't appeal to you so much since the store is trying to attract those young kids with all the money, and so on. Kind of like Old Navy. (Shut up. I loved Old Navy when it first showed up. They weren't just Teeny Bopper heaven, they had stuff for people my size. And they had terrific overalls back in the day.)

Er...where was I? Oh yeah, the Creative Blogger award. I'm actually going to pass this one on, for once. You're supposed to hand it off to seven bloggers, but before you do that, you're supposed to reveal seven things about yourself. Of course, my problem with that last one is that after almost eight years of maintaining this blog, I'm almost out of stuff to "reveal" about myself, except for the stuff I have absolutely no intention of revealing. So I'm skipping that step.

But awarding to other bloggers? That, I can do!

:: Simple Tricks and Nonsense rocks because he and I are of pretty similar mind on an eerie degree of stuff, including our various pop culture remembrances. You gotta love a blogger who will put up a long post celebrating teevee shows like Tales of the Gold Monkey, that only lasted a single season twenty-eight years ago.

:: There are lots of comics-related blogs out there. Lots of 'em. Many are a lot of fun to read. Slay, Monstrobot of the Deep is one of my favorites. I love it when comics bloggers analyze entire issues of comics, sometimes panel by panel, illuminating the sheer goofiness of the whole thing.

:: Jayme Lynn Blaschke's Gibberish is probably what my blog would read like if I were smarter. And into home-brewing. (And delusional enough to live in Texas.)

:: Lynn Sislo's Violins and Starships has been a daily read of mine for...geez, I can't even remember when she found me or vice versa. She's curious about the world, smart, she likes SF, and she links all kinds of cool stuff.

:: Roger Green's Ramblin' with Roger is just that: a blog of rambling, and fine rambling it is, too. Lots of linkage and musing on life in this increasingly odd twenty-first century. And he posts every day!

:: Judith Heartsong has offered me a bunch of blogging awards over the years, more than a few of which I've failed to pass on, so here I return the favor. Her blog is almost entirely about being creative.

:: One of the most creative uses of a blog I've seen is my friend Robert Guttke's blog devoted to Philip B. Dedrick, a teacher who made a deeply powerful impression upon him. Blogging-as-memorial is a wonderful thing. He'll probably look askance at this type of award, but I do want to draw attention over there again.

Blogging and creativity should always walk together!

3 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I'd like to thank the Academy...

Oh, wait. Thanks. A lot. And congrats to you.

WV: muffer - my blogging style.

Tonio Kruger said...

Congratulations, Jaquandor.

Is it kosher to pass these on to someone who already has one? I'm just curious.

Roger Owen Green said...

I have passed it on.