Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Buffalo: Land of the Mellow

A recent ranking, by "stress levels", of the 100 largest metropolitan areas in the United States has Buffalo near the bottom, at #86. And right ahead of Buffalo in "goin' with the groove" is Syracuse, at #87. So, there's some statistical information for anyone who has wondered at the easy-going nature of this particular blog. No doubt if I lived in, say, Detroit (#9), Miami (#2), or Tacoma (#1), I'd be foaming-at-the-mouth like Kim Du Toit when he's run out of ammo while watching An Affair to Remember.

I suppose, though, that whoever did this study didn't collect their "Buffalo data" on a Sunday during the NFL season. I'm also surprised that the Washington, DC area placed so low, at #83. That doesn't strike me as a particularly "laid-back" kind of place.

In other Buffalo-related news, efforts are apparently continuing to bring a Bass Pro store to the now-vacant Memorial Auditorium downtown. The Bass Pro people are now talking about building a "Great Lakes museum" that would be privately run in connection with the store. This sounds interesting to me, although I'd like to know some more specifics of what they have in mind. The Great Lakes region has a lot of fascinating history, and Buffalo would, of course, be the perfect place for a museum chronicling it all.

No comments: