Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I believe I am quite ready for another adventure!


The Road goes ever on and on!, originally uploaded by Jaquandor.

If I recall correctly, the last time I re-read The Lord of the Rings was in 2004; I was reading it when Little Quinn was born and during his initial hospital stay. I've generally re-read it every four or five years, so I'm actually overdue. It's time to return to Middle Earth!

Although, actually, I've already been there for a week; it's always been my practice to re-read The Hobbit first before any re-read of LOTR. A couple of years ago, when we were in Ithaca for the Apple Harvest Festival, one of my purchases at the amazing Autumn Leaves Bookstore was a pristine copy of The Annotated Hobbit, which turned out to be a fascinating read for the annotations as well as the wonderful story. It was like having a running commentary for the book, with notes on Tolkien's thought processes, various background materials from which Tolkien drew his material, and illustrations from many foreign editions of the book.

And now, it's on to LOTR, which makes me very happy indeed. I even bought a new copy of the book for this re-read. This is now my third copy of LOTR. Will I buy another for my tentatively-scheduled re-read in 2015? We'll see!

The world is changing....

7 comments:

Kal said...

But...but...I thought you were going to read DUNE??? Then we could talk about it. I hate to spoil LOTR for you but the Hobbits did it. Now get yourself off to the sands of Arrakis.

Kelly Sedinger said...

Oh, I'll read Dune, probably in either spring or summer. For some reason, I tend to get in the mood for science fiction in the warmer months. Not sure why, but fall and winter are fantasy times for me!

Kal said...

Oh sure. We get it. Well maybe now I don't want you to read DUNE and instead you should tackle 'James and the Giant Peach.'

I am having a weird case of 'DEJA VU. where I have told you all this before.

Oh and now to spoil the ending for you again - the PEACH did it.

Call me Paul said...

So, you've got S-FAD? Seasonal Fantasy Affected Disorder...

??? said...

Which edition did you buy? I need a new one as well, my old paperback is pretty much falling apart (after reading it at least once every year for twelve years, that's okay, though).

Kelly Sedinger said...

It's the 50th Anniversary Edition, published in 2004. And despite it being paperback, it's the heaviest of my LOTR copies!

Doug said...

Seasonal Fantasy Affected Disorder? Sounds like something I get, I get a hankering to re-read LOTR usually mid to late spring. I always seem to associate LOTR with springtime, must be the description of the Shire.