Thursday, June 19, 2008

Something for Thursday

In honor of Cyd Charisse, who just died the other day:


My problem is that I want to live in a world where this is how you woo a woman.

And a bonus Something for Thursday: Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse again, in the Broadway Melody Ballet from Singin' in the Rain. I think this number is vastly superior to the ballet from An American in Paris. It's in two parts; the first little bit here is from the film's opening credits, but when Gene shows up in the tux by himself, that's the ballet proper. It's well-worth the thirteen minutes, folks.




Amazing. Just amazing.

4 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I almost used the Singin' in the Rain piece for my Cyd Charisse note, but opted for this: http://rogerowengreen.blogspot.com/2008/06/maccas-route-66.html GREAT legs.

Kaye Waller said...

Sigh. I know this post is about Cyd Charisse, but I would have changed my orientation for Gene Kelly. ;) I love him since I was a little girl.

Jeremy said...

Thanks for that. Made my Friday morning.

Anonymous said...

I just read in the paper that she was only five foot 6. Hard to believe with those legs that go on forever. I also think that she was Gene Kelly's best partner ever - that wonderful dance in _Brigadoon_ proves it. Though _The Bandwagon_ remains one of my favorite musicals, I think that she is a bit mismatched with Fred Astaire - she's too "earthy" for him, though her style perfectly matches Kelly's athleticism (imho).