Wednesday, September 05, 2007

My kingdom for a quiz

Yup, what would a return to blogging be without a quiz. I grabbed this one from Steph Waller after I saw it on her MySpace page (although she did it as a bulletin, so I'm not sure how to link her answers). Anyway:

1. You have $5 and need to buy snacks at a gas station. What do you buy?

Hmmmm. A Big-Gulp drink (probably Pepsi or Diet Pepsi, although once or twice a year I get a hankering for Mt. Dew or Dr. Pepper), and then maybe a Slim Jim and a bag of Combos (the pepperoni pizza flavor). Combos are, to me, like crack. Many snacks are like crack, actually.

2. If you were reincarnated as a sea creature, what would you want to be?

I'm stealing Steph's answer here: one of the creatures from The Abyss.

3. Who's your favorite redhead?

When she colors her hair, The Wife! (When not, Leah Thompson.)

4. What do you order when you're at IHOP?

I haven't been to an IHOP since I was seven or eight years old. But they are building one quite near Casa Jaquandor (it used to be a bar/restaurant called Kelsey's), so I'll be able to answer this sometime soon.

5. Last book you read?

I'll abstain from this one, in favor of a longer post on recent reading for a later time.

6. Describe your favorite pair of underwear.

I don't have favorite underwear. I'm a guy. Underwear is purely utilitarian in nature, and I give it no thought whatsoever except for when I suddenly realize that it's time to buy some more.

7. Describe the last time you were injured.

Physically? I cut myself at work a lot. I've never yet knicked myself on a power saw or shot my own fingers through with the nail gun, luckily.

8. ????? No question????

Huh? OK, folks, use comments to suggest a Question Number Eight.

9. Rock concert or symphony?

I suppose it would depend...but in truth, I have never been to a rock concert before. Not one. I'm not sure how this has come to pass, but there it is.

10. What is the wallpaper of your mobile phone?

I don't have a mobile yet. Or a cell.

11. Favorite drink?

Spiced rum and cola. Or seven-and-seven. Or Southern Comfort in cola. Or vanilla rum and root beer. Spiced rum also blends very nicely with Vernor's Ginger Ale. And, if you can get the mix exactly right, a blend of peppermint schnapps and root beer will taste just like birch beer. (Get the mix wrong, however, and the result is not unlike some of the nastier brands of mouthwash.)

12. What type of top/teeshirt are you wearing?

As of this writing, a light shade of green.

13. If you could only use one form of transportation for the rest of your life what would it be?

I can't decide between a Danube-class starship, a YT-1300 light freighter, or an Aston-Martin DB5 with all the optional extras installed.

14. Most recent movie you've watched at the movies?

The Simpsons Movie.

16. What's your favorite kind of cake?

Carrot cake, with enough frosting to stop a clock. (A cake's primary function is as a frosting-delivery device.)

17. What did you have for dinner last night?

As of this writing: A pulled-pork sandwich, fries, and an appetizer platter from Zebb's. As you're reading this: who knows?

18. Look to your right what do you see?

A floor fan, my CD collection, the teevee, and The Daughter.

19. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off?

For laced shoes, yes.

20. Favorite toy as a child?

Hmmmm. Not sure, really. I had lots of toys, and the various obsessions thereof came and went.

21. Do you buy your own food?

How else would I eat?

22. Do you think people talk about you behind your back?

Of course they do. Everybody talks about everybody, and really, except for cases of nasty rumor-mongering, I don't think that's a bad thing.

23. When's the last time you had a sour gummy worm?

Never. I don't like "gummies" all that much, no matter what critter they're shaped as.

24. What's your favorite fruit?

Blueberries, strawberries, white peaches. And apples -- we're heading into prime apple-eating season. I love eating an apple on a crisp fall morning!

25. Do you have a picture of yourself doing a cartwheel?

Absolutely not! Do I look that acrobatic in nature?

26. Have you ever eaten snow?

Sure. I find that November snow is the best for pure eating, but January snow is the best for use in omelettes.

27. What color are your bedsheets?

Right now, a lavender-type color.

28. What's your mom's favorite flower?

Hmmmm. I haven't the faintest idea, really. We had peonies and rhododendrons in the yard, and when she was a gardener she'd plant a lot of marigolds, but I'm told that was more an anti-rabbit thing than a fondness for marigolds (apparently rabbits don't like the scent of marigolds or something like that, so if you surround your veggies with them, the bunnies won't eat them, or so goes the theory). She has live plants in her home, but a lot of them are potted evergreens.

29. Do you listen to classical music?

Of course! (And for people who are afraid of classical music or think it's "too hard", come on! It's just music. You listen to it just like any other music.)

30. Do you have a "wacky noodle"?

On the advice of counsel, I'm not only not answering this, but I'm not even going to look up what "wacky noodle" means.

31. Do you watch Spongebob?

Not often, because we don't have cable, but I find that show fairly amusing when I do. It's pretty zany, which appeals to me.

32. Last food you ate?

A couple of cookies with my morning coffee. (As I'm writing this. When you're reading this, I may have just had lunch!)

33. Do people consider you intelligent?

I hope so! But then, I can also be a complete clod.

35. Is your away message on?

Not at present. I only IM on AOL, and I'm not signed on right now. (I used to use Microsoft's IM program, but I haven't in a long time. I should also look into Google's version.)

36. Have you ever tried gluing your fingers together?

Why would anyone do this?!

37. What curse word do you use the most?

I get a lot of mileage out of "shit", I'm sorry to say. And thanks to Gordon Ramsay, I now find myself muttering to myself, "Oh, f*** me senseless!" when I encounter random daily dumbness. I do swear too much.

38. What time is your alarm clock set for?

Too frakkin' early, that's what time! On normal work days I get up at 6:00 am. Sometimes I'll get up earlier if there's a special job to do for which I need to be at The Store early (particular maintenance jobs that have to get done before the respective departments open up, for instance). I've also sporadically risen that early so I could get in my daily walk. I've actually come to really like the way the world feels at 5:00 in the morning; I just hate that one has to get up at 5:00 in the morning to see that world.

42. What CD is currently in your CD player?

Nothing for now; I'm pretty religious about removing CDs from the player when not in use. Earlier, however, I was listening to a CD of Kullervo by Sibelius (London SO, Sir Colin Davis conducting). I know terribly little about Sibelius; the only work of his with which I'm more than passingly familiar is his Violin Concerto.

43. What movie do you know every line to?

Star Wars Episode ___: _________.

44. What is your favorite salad dressing?

I don't have a favorite, really; I rotate through a bunch of 'em. When I'm at a restaurant I tend to get ranch a lot, which is really kind of boring, when you get down to it. I love poppyseed dressing, so maybe today I'll get a bottle of it. I don't eat enough salad. I love salad -- but only if the greens are dark and leafy: romaine, arugula, baby spinach, all those. I detest iceberg lettuce. Iceberg lettuce is the only food on the planet that is more useless than the plain ricecake.

45. Would you ever date someone covered in tattoos?

If The Wife wants to get tattoos, sure. Otherwise, no, because The Wife would kick my ass.

46. Do you sleep in the same bed with your pets?

Yes. And the one that usually sleeps with us snores and takes up a mammoth amount of space.

47. Do you enjoy giving hugs?

Yes.

48. What part of your name do people mis-pronounce?

There's a very common way people pronounce my last name which according to my relatives is wrong, but I never correct people anymore. It just doesn't seem useful to do so.

50. If you were to become famous, would you drop your last name?

Yes, and I'd take the new last name "Arbuckle". Why? Why not?

OK, that's it. I'm not tagging anyone, so grab and go if you like.

UPDATE: Huh. On further reflection, it seems that a bunch of questions are missing from this quiz: Numbers 8, 15, 34, 39, 40, 41, and 49 are all MIA! So, readers, go ahead and fill in the blanks with those questions, if you please!

No comments: