Monday, November 11, 2002

Now that I have arrived at The Climax of the novel-in-progress, I've realized something either cool or disconcerting: I'm writing a George Lucas-style climax. This is a climax where the action is taking place in three (or more) different locations, and I'm switching back and forth among them. I have a huge battle taking place outside a city; I have a smaller battle taking place at Stonehenge; and I have my heroine embarking on her mystical journey to Avalon to fetch King Arthur. The problem with such a complex climax is sequencing: first, I have to identify the order in which each event happens, or at least the order in which each event has to be shown. It's not necessarily the case that events occur in the order that they are shown, but they have to come in a certain narrative order to work together if tension is to be properly built so that when the Big Heroic Moment finally arrives, it actually feels like a Big Heroic Moment and that it's not anticlimactic, coming so late in the proceedings that the reader's reaction is "OK, I get it", as opposed to "Wow!".

The prime problem that I'm having is that the heroine's "mystical journey" is just that, and as such it kind of takes place outside the general timeframe of the other events. I'm afraid that if I include her journey in the cutting back-and-forth between the other places of action, I'll be forced to establish a framework in which that journey exists, and I don't want to do that. So what I'm leaning toward doing is sending her on her journey, and then moving the other two scenes along until their "pregnant moment" -- and at that point I'll cut to what the heroine is doing, which may take an entire chapter in itself. What to do once her journey is complete is not an issue; I could write that stuff in my sleep. So I think I know what to do, and my concern now is simply that I don't want to bore the reader with the "mystical journey" stuff.

Anyway, time to pick up the pen.

No comments: