Monday, January 27, 2003

I've noticed in the last year or two that I will receive campaign mailings, seeking contributions, from candidates who are not in my state. I expect these are targeted to folks on the Mother Jones mailing list and the like, and they are invariably phrased in terms of "Support me, so that the Republicans don't take control" or something like that. Sympathetic as I may be, I'm generally hesitant to donate any of my money to political causes, and I'm even more hesitant to do so in the case of candidates who don't represent me.

I'm bringing this up because Scott Secrest recently received such a mailing from Tom Daschle (to whom I lovingly refer as "our Lemming-In-Chief"), and he actually wrote back, sending his regrets to Senator Daschle in no uncertain terms. He also posted his response to Collaboratory. I have to agree with Scott, almost entirely -- one generally should be wary of requests for another chance for a guy whose most notable recent accomplishment is being the first to walk the plank.


No comments: