Thursday, September 12, 2002

AICN has an article containing some reactions to a screening of Hayao Miyazaki's film Spirited Away, including a conversation with the great filmmaker himself. An interesting error occurs in the transcription of the conversation (at least I assume it is an error). Miyazaki is quoted thusly:

"Fantasy is an absolutely essential element for children, as a temporary respite or escape or as a sucker and source of support. But if you go to completely into it and surrender to it, it can become a psychosis. It may sound hypocritical, since we sell videos: but I believe you should watch the films just once."

I could be wrong, but I suspect that he said "succor", not "sucker".

I'm also interested that Miyazaki, one of cinema's finest fantasists, evidently judges fantasy worthwhile almost entirely for its cathartic abilities. He doesn't mention the possibilities that fantasy offers for exploring theme, which interests me because of the strong theme of family that seems present in much of his work.

No comments: