Monday, September 08, 2014

Sentential Links

Hey, want some links? Well tough shit, you're gettin' 'em anyway.

:: It’s not our fault that someone as an issue with us. We don’t owe anybody an explanation for our life choices, especially some stranger we neither know or respect.

:: In hindsight, I should have known. I didn’t mention the case, but the defendant was accused of assaulting a police officer at 3:20 a.m. nearly a year ago. I was undoubtedly bumped by the defense attorney because I was still thinking about my victimization, AND because I was perceived, I’m thinking as too pro-cop. Not the way I see myself, but there it is. (I think I'm due to get called at some point in the not-too-distant future. Last time, I got out because The Wife and I were working opposite schedules which would have left a three-hour window during which we had no one to watch The Daughter, who was only six or seven at the time. I was always impressed that the judge was understanding about that, and in all honesty, I found that the Erie County jury-selection process really is designed to be as pleasant as possible, given that nobody especially wants to be there. Next time, we'll see what happens! I wouldn't mind serving, actually.)

:: Oh here’s a good one: The Ice Bucket Challenge is a Satanic Ritual. And Oprah is Satan. (Crap, wish I'd have known about that before I dumped the water on my head.)

:: It's hard to admit I'm happy, but I really am. (Well, they say the first step to solving a problem is admitting...wait, that's not the response called for here...hmmm....)

:: If you ever begin a post with the phrase “In today’s society…” you fail the class immediately.

There. That should take care of that.

You’re welcome, America.
(Yeesh. In today's society, profs are jerks!)

:: As I go about my day here in the Queen City of the Lakes what I'm seeing is something quite new to me in my time here: economic activity.

:: It’s a poison place filled with poison people; it makes Reddit look like a circumspect garden party by comparison, and that is indeed the very point of the site, to allow people to wallow in this sort of thing anonymously with no consequences. (Every new story about the rampant sexism in the gaming world gives me pause, because The Daughter's favorite hobby is gaming, and she's actually mentioned it as a field she'd be interested in pursuing later in life.)

More next week, unless I decide that there won't be. In which case, well, you know....

3 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Re: Ice Bucket challenge: THIS REALLY SUCKED.

Roger Owen Green said...

Go, Bills! Go, Jets! (Goodness, the Jets looked terrible at times...)

Kelly Sedinger said...

Jeez, Roger, I didn't want to know about that awful prank. I hope they find those bullies.