Elen sila lumenn omentielvo!

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Something for Thursday

In the course of writing Lighthouse Boy (not the actual title), I've been listening to more film music lately (more than usual, anyway), with a special ear for classic scores of the Golden Age. Without doubt, my favorite Golden Age film composer is Erich Wolfgang Korngold, whose music formed the backdrop for many a fine Errol Flynn adventure. Here is a suite of his score to The Adventures of Robin Hood, played live at The Proms. (My newest addition to my "Things I Gotta Do Before I Die" list is to attend a concert or two at The Proms.)


Now there's some swashbuckling music for you!

(And as a onetime trumpet player, I was interested in one particular practice I saw here for the first time ever (it happens at the 7:28 mark, among others): the trumpeter stretches a mask of what looks like felt over the bell of the instrument. I imagine this softens the tone somewhat, muffling the trumpet without changing the instrument's tone outright, the way a mute does. Korngold knew his way around the orchestra, that's for sure!)

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

It certainly buckled MY swash.