Friday, December 09, 2011

Your Daily Dose of Christmas

Ayup...I missed a day, but through the magic of backdating posts, I can act as though this was here all the time! Huzzah! I had to work very early yesterday morning, and then after I got home from work, there was a nap followed by a shower followed by a lovely evening out with The Family, so I never really got a chance to do any blogging whatsoever. Hence this entry...a day late.

Anyway, it's something of a law that we're all supposed to watch A Christmas Story a bunch of times each year. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of this movie, to be honest. It's enjoyable enough, but I don't find it essential -- in fact, I didn't even see the whole thing, start to finish, until just a few years ago. It basically puts me in mind of an overlong episode of The Wonder Years, without the earnest life lessons and Kevin's eternal yearning for Winnie Cooper. Still, the scene with the kids going to see Santa at the department store is comedy gold, so here it is.



I'm not one to wax poetic a lot about the stuff from yesteryear that's been lost to the Onward March of Time, but I do kind of miss downtown department stores at Christmas, from the era when each city had its own store instead of every city having a Macy's downtown. (Except Buffalo, of course. Our downtown department store died years ago and ain't coming back, ever. Fuhgeddaboudit.)

1 comment:

Call me Paul said...

I've never actually seen this movie.