Saturday, April 03, 2004

We Need Answers!

It seems to me that modern science has not done nearly enough research into what I call the "Women Make That Look Good" Phenomenon. I've long noticed that in any work environment in which employees are required to wear a uniform, the women of that operation always look better in that uniform than the men. This is no less true at The Store. The main uniform is this white dress-shirt that's kind-of tuxedo style, with a short, stiff, rounded collar. The women of the store, for the most part, look great in this shirt. The men, though, look like...guys in white dress shirts. There's got to be a Ph.D. thesis in this for some enterprising scientist!

(In fact, I'd generally say that women almost always look better in men's clothes than men do. The only exception? Neckties. I can't stand neckties on women, and whenever I see a woman wearing a dress shirt with a necktie, I'm reminded of that line of Harrison Ford's from Working Girl: "You're the first woman I've seen at one of these things who dressed like a woman, not how a woman thinks a man would dress if he was a woman.")

(Oh, and the necktie thing only applies to standard neckties, not bow-ties. I have no opinion on cravats, as I have never seen a woman wearing one.)

No comments: