Sunday, March 23, 2003

I plan to watch the Oscars tonight, at least as late as I can. (I haven't managed to stay up all the way to "Best Picture" since Braveheart won.) Of this year's Best Picture nominees, I've only seen The Two Towers, which has no chance of winning, really. I recently read somewhere -- but I don't recall where, specifically -- a theory that the Academy is waiting until The Return of the King next year to shower its accolades upon Peter Jackson, which I hope is the case. I don't have much of a read on any of the Oscar races this year, so I'm mainly hoping for an enjoyable and entertaining telecast. (I'm also glad that Steve Martin is hosting again, because I never really cared for Whoopi Goldberg's brand of humor at the Oscars. Of course, it's worth bearing in mind that I actually enjoyed David Letterman's now-infamous turn at hosting the ceremonies. Yeah, he did beat "Oprah, Uma" into the ground, but I loved it when he drafted Tom Hanks for help in a "Stupid Pet Trick".)

Roger Ebert has a good article about his Oscar memories today. My personal favorite Oscar memories:

:: Clint Eastwood presenting the "Best Director" award to Steven Spielberg for Schindler's List. Eastwood lost the teleprompter, and you could just see the words, "Oh, God damn it!" forming on his lips before he got back on track.

:: Robin Williams's speech after winning "Best Supporting Actor" for Good Will Hunting.

:: David Letterman to the Academy President (I can't remember the guy's name), after the President's opening speech: "Sir, there are some guys out back who'd like to talk to you about Hoop Dreams...."

:: Randy Newman, addressing the orchestra that was beginning to play, ushering Newman off the stage after he'd finally won an Oscar for "Best Song" after losing oh, so many times: "Oh, you're not going to play now. Please don't play."

:: Jim Carrey, the year he was denied a nomination for The Truman Show: "I'm here to present [some award], and that's all I'm here for." Also, a few years prior when, in presenting a different award, he referred to the Oscar as "the LORD of all knick-knacks!"

No comments: