Thursday, September 16, 2021

Something for Thursday

 In recent times we've made various classic rock and 1970s and 1980s hits stations our regular listening when we're at home hanging out, or when we're driving about. This is a song I don't think I'd ever heard much growing up, for whatever reason; I remember hearing it once in a while but it doesn't seem to have ever been a big enough hit to show up regularly on commercial classic rock stations (with their increasingly boring playlists).

Stevie Nicks is a singer that I've never disliked for any reason, but I was never all that big a fan, really...until now. It's amazing how long it takes you to behold the beauty in what earlier seems, well, not that beautiful. Nicks's voice is...I'm honestly not sure how to describe Stevie Nicks's voice. It's like it's nasal and sultry at the same time.

Stevie Nicks apparently wrote this song as a duet vehicle for Waylon Jennings, but for some reason Jennings didn't use the song on the album that has this title, so Nicks recorded it with Don Henley of The Eagles.

Here is "Leather and Lace".


2 comments:

Jason said...

I always forget that you weren't as plugged into rock and roll as I was in your youth. Or possibly it's that time window we've talked about before, where I am just enough older than you that I took notice of things you weren't yet following? In any event, I recall this was a pretty big hit, top 10 for sure. I remember slow-dancing to it with my middle-school sweetheart. And I used to hear it a lot before the boringification of rock radio but possibly that was a regional thing. (Part of the problem with radio these days is that it's so homogenized due to nationwide corporate control; it's the same playlists everywhere you go.)

In any event, I'm glad you've found it now. It's one of my favorites.

Kelly Sedinger said...

The year, 1981, is two years before I would have entered middle school, so no, at that point, rock wasn't much on my radar. By the time it was, this song was two years in the rear-view mirror.