Sunday, September 26, 2021

A Pirate Looks at Fifty

 Normally I don't post on Sundays much, but...well, today's my birthday. I am now fifty.

Here's what fifty (minus two days, since I took this two days ago) looks like:



Not a lot different, huh?

So, how does fifty feel? Well...so far, not a whole lot different from forty. A bit stiffer, a bit achier, a bit...longer. Mentally, it's OK. I still have tons of interests and tons of things I want to do, places I want to see, stories I want to tell.

Introspectively, I suppose...geez, I don't know. Is this the life I saw myself living twenty, thirty, forty years ago? Not even close. Is that bad? Not really, though in all honesty, as much as I generally avoid thinking about roads not traveled, I do find myself wanting my college decision to leave music behind back, more than any other decision. Everything else, I'm mainly fine with, at least as far as things that have happened over which I had any control. The worst things are the things I had no idea were coming, and I expect that's true of most people.

So, anyway, that's my introspection on turning fifty. Check back in ten years for sixty. Maybe then I'll stop thinking mostly like a twelve-year-old sci-fi geek. More like...thirteen!

Onward and upward! Zap! Pow!!


1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

Happy birthday! I was in Binghamton researching my father's past. As you probably know, his birthday was exactly 45 years before yours.