Thursday, February 13, 2014

Evgeni



I've "hated" Evgeni Plushenko for years...not really, but in that sense of "hate" in which, if you were a Bills fan during the 1980s and 1990s, you "hated" Dan Marino, or in the way I "hate" Tom Brady now. You "hate" the guy who wins a ton while committing the crime of not being your guy.

But damn, Evgeni Plushenko has been a hell of a skater and competitor for a long time, and it's a shame that he didn't get to go out on the ice, but because he was -- as many athletes become -- just too damned banged up to keep going. And imagine being a football player and realizing you simply cannot go out on the field, minutes before kickoff in the Super Bowl. That's what happened to Plushenko: he was warming up for his Olympic short program, but realized...it wasn't happening.

Yeah, I "hated" Evgeni Plushenko. But damn, what a career he had! Good luck to him in the future!


3 comments:

Andy said...

There is one guy that no professional athlete has EVVVVVVVER beaten, and his name is FATHER TIME!!!!

Roger Owen Green said...

I watched that after your post. It was sad.

Jackie B. said...

After what happened in the Vancouver Olympics, I was not a fan of Plushenko's either. Then in these Olympics, I gave him a second chance and he astonished the hell out of me. I dedicated a post one of my blogs to him, but I agree. He deserved better than going out the way he did.
http://dreamypoproyalty.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/evgeni-plushenko-and-my-olympic-skating-commentary-thus-far/