Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Answering Anything, part the first!


Yes indeed, it is time for ANSWERS! Wheeeeeee!!!

My ever-entertaining high school mate Andy asks:

I have thought about your response to my question about 'The Dukes of Hazard' question I asked last time. Do you think the reason for all the dirt roads in the county was that Boss Hog was embezzling the funds that the federal government was giving to the county to pave the roads? Or do you think he was funneling the money to buy all the cop cars Roscoe and Ennis were tearing up?

Heh! Either or both! But I've always had this odd notion that Hazzard County is like an American version of Brigadoon, that Scottish town that is magically enchanted to only emerge from the mist into the real world every 100 years. Hazzard exists in its own little world, with its own laws of physics and traffic and fashion.

Andy adds:

I can tell you one thing that is for sure!!! Boss Hog wasn't putting ANY ebezzled money into his bar, 'The Bore's Nest'. That place was a DUMP!!!!!!

He didn't need to, though, did he? That joint was always packed! But really, what the hell did Boss Hogg spend his money on? A new white suit every day?

Paul asks:

Winter or Summer Olympics... and which sport?

Oh, Winter, most definitely. The Winter games are prettier, and their events always look like something I'd like to try for the heck of it. The Summer games is a combination of stuff that reminds me of gym class. Which isn't to say that I dislike the Summer games, because I love the Olympics in general. Even if they're corrupt as hell and even if the expense of putting on the Olympics is really hard to justify at times.

Which sport? I'm a figure skating fan, although I've missed most of it thus far this year. I didn't even know there was a "team event" now until I saw that Russia had won the thing! Most of the Winter events look really neat, with one major exception: I must come to grips with the fact that I will simply never, ever, ever love hockey. Never ever. I tried, I really did.

As I write this, I'm watching two-man bobsledding coverage, and I've always loved all these various ice-run sports: bobsledding, luge, and skeleton. I'd love to ride one of those bobsleds one day!

Summer sports? I could watch swimming all day, as well as the track-and-field events.

And I am bummed that Olympic pie-throwing never came to anything. Alas!

Ben asks:

How are you supporting yourself until the writing ship comes in?

The day job -- for ten years now, wow -- is Maintenance at a large grocery store in the Buffalo area. I don't like to name the chain, simply because I don't want anything I write here to be taken as a statement by "a representative of the company", but of the two major chains in this region, it's not the one that rhymes with "Schmops". I'm responsible for the upkeep of the physical plant, making sure that things work, and ensuring that our warp field maintains integrity and doesn't do anything to disrupt the space-time continuum. You know, like Scotty.

More answers to come! And feel free to ask more, if you like -- I always accept questions, and follow-ups are welcome!

4 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I have never watched a single ep of DoH. Never even knew it was named Hazzard, with two Zs. I have a Pavlovian dislike for stuff featuring the Confederate flag. Saw one, a massive one, flying out a car window in Troy a few months ago; made me EXTREMELY nervous.

Roger Owen Green said...

Hockey: USA-Canada; might have to watch THAT. I don't GET the team figure skating, and neither does my wife, who is much more into that thing.

Lynn said...

Regarding the dirt roads in Hazzard County: I missed the first question and answer but I have to point out that dirt roads are not unusual in the south. Most of the backroads around where I live are paved but in Arkansas there is a county which, as recently as the 1980's, had only one paved road in the entire county. I don't know about now but it might still be that way.

Andy said...

Roger, it was a show that showed EVERY stereotype of the south.... On one spectrum you had the simplicity of DofH and on the other you had the technical marvel of Knight Rider....

Also feller, the USA hockey team really stunk the place up with the game today BUT hey! At least they beat the Russians last week....

Lynn, you are correct, there are A LOT more dirt roads in the south... Why is that, I HAVE NO IDEA! SILLY SOUTHERNERS!!

Kelly, I have one or two more questions for ya but I think I will wait to ask them when you do you next "ASK ME ANYTHING' post.