Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sunday Burst of Weird and Awesome

Oddities and Awesome abound!

:: One of the greatest interactive maps, ever: Vaguely Rude Placenames. Hover over the little flags to see the names. Great stuff! Apparently there's a place in Iran called "Shit".

:: Back when I used to watch the Oscars semi-seriously, I would dutifully sit through the Obituary Tribute thing and say to myself, "Hey, they left out _____!" Turns out there's cinematic politics involved in the selection of the honored dead. Wow.

:: Here in Buffalo, we often deflect the derision heaped upon our winter weather by pointing out that our summers have never hit 100 degrees (although with global warming, I expect that this claim will not be available to us much longer), we don't have to worry about tornadoes, wildfires, hurricanes, volcanoes, earthquakes, and so on. Add to that list...raining spiders!

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go lie down and shiver a bit. More next week!

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I've always been irrationally fond of Intercourse, PA.

Call me Paul said...

I've seen that 'raining spiders' link come up in my various different newsfeeds several times over the last couple of weeks. I have studiously avoided clicking on it. I don't think I could handle that particular nightmare.