Thursday, November 01, 2012

November! Let the words gush forth in a big wordy torrent!

I'm doing something new this year: I am officially participating in NaNoWriMo. Princesses In SPACE!!! (not the actual title) is currently being perused by beta-readers, and I'm processing and meditating upon their feedback, with an eye to starting the final draft in December. Between now and then, however, I need something to work on...and the timing just happened to work out that I can give NaNoWriMo a try. This will involve daily writing (which I can handle), on a level that is a bit higher than I'm used to (1666 words a day, on average, are needed to hit the target goal of a 50,000 word novel).

I've got the story picked out -- it's a notion that I've had in the back of my head for a novella for a while now, so I figure this is as good a time as any to get it going. IN order to get it to the necessary word length, I'm going to add in some stuff to the notion and let it expand. My main worry is that I don't write with length in mind; I tend to follow the story wherever it goes. So what if I'm only two-thirds of the way through the story at the end of the month? Or what if this particular story's natural length is only 35000 words? I guess we'll find out.

(Oh, and as a further experiment, I've just decided that I'm going to write this novel/novella/whatever in Google Documents, instead of Open Office. Just out of curiosity to see what Google's like as a writing platform.)

No comments: