Sunday, October 14, 2012

Writing: an update


Writing, originally uploaded by Jaquandor.

I'm about halfway through applying my edits to Princesses In SPACE!!! (not the actual title), so I'm right on track to have the second draft done by the end of this month, which is the goal I had set. Yay, me!

I'm keeping track of the word count of all my edited chapters, and I'm noticing that I'm not ditching as many words as I'd hoped. I tend to go with Stephen King's formula on this type of stuff: "2nd draft = 1st draft - 10%." So far I'm losing about 5%, and I'm kind of nervous about the effect that a couple of late-book revisions will have, as I am adding two scenes toward the end. We'll see. This goal is helpful, but it's also largely arbitrary. We'll see. I can guarantee that the second draft will lose a lot of flabby prose. Whether it's enough, though...well, that will be a job for the beta-readers to determine!

So, onward and upward! Zap! Pow!!

No comments: