Thursday, July 19, 2012

Something for Thursday

I need to watch this movie again, having only seen it all the way through once on a VHS copy way back in college (and there may have been drinking involved), so my memories of it aren't the best (although I've watched parts of it since), but one of the very best things about the animated F&SF flick Heavy Metal is its score by Elmer Bernstein. Here is "The Flight to the Temple", from the film's closing segment, the "Taarna" sequence.



What's great about this score is that it's kind of eerie at first, then somewhat comedic, then eerie again, depending on the story (the film is basically a collection of loosely-related stories), until we get to the Taarna sequence, at which point Bernstein just lets loose with some wonderfully powerful epic stuff. I love me some Elmer Bernstein!

3 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

It's unfortunate that Bernstein's soundtrack is so overshadowed by the rock and roll soundtrack. The Heavy Metal album was a terrific seller and I'd wager that more people bought and listened to that than actually saw the movie. The album featured Blue Oyster Cult and Black Sabbath but no Bernstein.

Kelly Sedinger said...

The Bernstein score did get an official release just a few years ago, on the FSM label, I believe. Great stuff!

Mimi said...

My constituents are mutating and they want to know why.