Sunday, January 09, 2011

Oh, come on, studios!

I can see why movie studios would want to put the clamps down on people who try to put entire movies up on YouTube, but leveling copyright objections at two-minute clips from movies just seems silly. Those clips, when used in blogs and Facebook-sharings and Twitter feeds, constitute free advertising for their movies. If I had a nickel for every time I've posted a clip from some movie and had someone comment afterwards along the lines of "Hey, I've never seen that but now I think I will!", I could probably buy a dinner at a nice restaurant, like Mendy's.

(Which is my way of saying that Universal needs to stop blocking clips of Love Actually. Wankers!)

1 comment:

??? said...

Oh, this is a pet peeve of mine. Who would say no to free advertising? A lot of people it seems. I find museums that don't allow photos (without using the flash of course) particularly annoying. Guys, I want to blog about the awesome things I saw at your museum. No-one will say: Woh, now I've seen the photo, I won't need to go see the real thing", for goth's sake.