For more information on my writing, please visit my official author website!
ForgottenStars.net

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Happy Birthday George!

Not George Lucas, but one of my other favorite Georges, with whom I share the birthday of September 26: George Gershwin. In his honor, here is the animation for Rhapsody in Blue, produced for the Disney film Fantasia 2000 (which seems to me a terribly underrated movie -- there is some wonderful animation in that film). The opening narration here is dubbed into French, but once the music starts (at about the :50 mark), it doesn't matter one whit. (It's in two parts to account for YouTube's duration limits.)

The style is inspired by the famous, oh-so-NYC caricatures of Al Hirschfeld (with, to my eye, a bit of the Eloise books as well).



1 comment:

Jason said...

I don't have anywhere near the breadth of your musical knowledge or tastes -- I'm pretty solidly a rock and roll guy -- but I greatly enjoyed Fantasia 2000 and this was my favorite sequence. It's a wonderful piece of music, and the animation was lighthearted and charming and perfectly suited the soundtrack.

IMO, of course. :)