Monday, April 26, 2010

Sentential Links #203

Time for linkage! I like links. Links rule.

This week I'm doing something I haven't done in quite a while: all of these links are to blogs listed on the blogroll at another blog, in this case, Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness. Here we go!

:: The waves were crashing on white clouds of sand. Crystal blue water tickling my feet in a choreographed dance of waves.

:: I've never had a Big Mac. (Well, let me spoil the surprise for you: they suck.)

:: The thing is, I am a part-time hippie. (I like this blog a lot.)

:: I don't like that to some people, "my paycheck is bigger than yours" means "I'm better than you." But that's just the way it is, I guess. It's too bad.

:: During college I took a music appreciation class. I am the furthest thing from a musician, but it was informative and I really enjoyed it. One of the more memorable pieces we studied was Berlioz' Symphony Fantastique. There is a part in the piece which depicts a witch and a beheading. (Don't forget that the symphony also depicts the visions of an artist after he takes too much opium!)

:: The strange thing is, in the midst of all that discussion, somehow a group of people who have trouble agreeing on anything time and time again keep coming to the same conclusions about which titles should be considered the artistic triumphs of the medium. And the funny thing is, they aren't all blockbuster games that everyone has played, and yet they keep coming up. So, in repeatedly coming out against games as an art form, he is causing those that do believe they are to become more vocal about their beliefs and in some small way, helping the community and a canon to develop.

:: I could definitely get into a "crazy dude living under the water" take on Aquaman, especially as drawn by Beaton. She certainly has a way with DC superheroes.

:: They say the clothes make the man, and that you should always think about what your appearance says about you. As of late, mine's been screaming "Bitch, you're lucky I'm even awake right now. And yeah, that's residual donut glaze on my unshaven chin -- WHAT OF IT?"

:: Since 1989, most of the world (except Ontario and Newark) have made midget tossing illegal. Though 3 years before that was quite a different story. It was the height of the sport.

:: I think I have just created a singularity of nerdiness. Pokemon + lolcats + cross stitch pillow = I am a huge geek. And I think I like it. (I've already read this one for a few weeks.)

:: Tonight I had a doctor appointment where I regressed to third grade behavior, which some of you may find incredibly disturbing. If you can't handle it, exit now. You have been warned.

:: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back by Frank Miller, John Byrne, Terry Austin, Walt Simonson, Michael Golden, Fred Hembeck, Marie Severin, Marshall Rogers, Joe Jusko, and Bob Layton. Wow! How cool is that?!?!? (Wow! I remember these, actually. In fact, in the garage or basement of my parents' house, I still have these!)

OK, that's it for this week. And I only scratched the surface; Cal's got a long blogroll and I looked at well under half of them. Some great stuff there!

1 comment:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

HEY...this is very cool. Is 'Cal Week' turning into 'Cal Month'? My people are the best.

I totally agree with you about 'A Mainland Streel'. Her blog is fun and she is fun. Also, she is originally a 'local' girl so I have to send her the love.

You made some great choices to check out. Only the finest efforts get on the Cave of Cool blogroll (yourself included). I think you will agree with me that each one of them share one thing in common and that is they are interesting.

They are all characters that stick out and people I would totally have lunch with in the shadow of the Sphinx or on an outdoor patio in Paris.