Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Unidentified Earth, apparently blasphemous!

Well, Unidentified Earth 26 was identified a few times within a couple of hours as the Christ the Redeemer statue that looms high over Rio de Janeiro. Normally I'd wait to unveil the answer until Thursday (the normal day for Unidentified Earth), but, well look:



Yes, the statue was struck by lightning. I feel like I should make some kind of joke here, but given the precedent God's establishing here, I think I'll just leave well enough alone. Wow.

2 comments:

Call me Paul said...

I would suspect, it being the tallest thing in the area, and made of metal and all, that it gets struck by lightning several dozen times a year. So I don't think there's some kind of precedent being established, After all, it's just lightning.

Kelly Sedinger said...

Yeesh, Paul! I wasn't actually suggesting that God is striking the statue with lightning. Most very tall buildings get hit by lightning as a matter of course. I just find the symbolism funny.