Monday, February 04, 2008

Sentential Links #127

As I do from time to time, all of the links in this post spring from the blogroll of a single blog, and all are blogs I've not seen before. In this case, the originating blogroll is Sheila's.

:: It's no secret that popular culture today is shite. That's why I look to the past for my entertainment.

:: Marlboro Man and I loved taking drives.

:: It's hard to believe that Burt Reynolds will be turning 72 in 10 days. (Huh-whuh?! How did that happen?)

:: Ten words I did not know were real words until I played Scrabulous: qat, ghi, hup, taw, pah, gey, ors, yoni, mana, and cowbird.

:: Egyptians one generation more ancient than the ones we usually call Ancient Egyptians perhaps thought the pyramids to be detestable eyesores on the desert skyline, and Greeks old enough to remember the good old days before poetry, medicine and architecture might have had a Prince-Charles-like disdain for the doric ‘carbuncles’ clunking up the Acropolises of their once fair country. (Come to that, I may have seen this blog before, but I like this post.)

:: Some months ago, amid casual small-talk at the office, a coworker piped up, "Hey, does anyone want my copy of Oliver Twist? I just can't get into it."

:: Like many of my generation, my first real encounter with the Looney Tunes brand of animation was on Saturday afternoons in a two-hour block on Nickelodeon, just around the dawn of Nicktoons. (OK, this scares me: there's an entire generation now that didn't encounter Looney Tunes through Saturday mornings on ABC. Wow.)

:: I checked with her, and she doesn't mind: this is the year the wife turns forty. And it only seems fair that before I leave her for a younger woman I show her a good time.

:: I care not how humble your bookshelf may be, nor how lowly the room which it adorns. Close the door of that room behind you, shut off with it all the cares of the outer world, plunger back into the soothing company of the great dead, and then you are through the magic portal into that fair land whither worry and vexation can follow you no more. You have left all that is vulgar and all that is sordid behind you. Their stand your noble, silent comrades, waiting in their ranks. (OK, it's a quote and not written by the linked blogger, but it's such a good one, and a good note on which to leave off.)

More next week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are great!

Becky said...

What a neat idea. I've explored other's blogrolls but any I found and liked I just quietly added to my own list, without fanfare.

Not sure why, but the Oliver Twist quote cracked me up.

Pauldub said...

Looneytoons on Saturday morning? ABC? My first encounter was The Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show in the early sixties. Also weekdays after school Channel 7 ran them. Guess I'm dating myself?

The Silver Fox said...

Ain't no quote like an A. Conan Doyle quote.