Saturday, November 24, 2007

Heading behind the dark side of the moon....

UPDATED Below.

Hey folks! I hope you're all having a fine weekend. And for those of you who were out early shopping yesterday morning, What on Earth is wrong with you??!!

Anyhow, this blog will be on kinda-sorta-hiatus for an undetermined time, due to an annoying change in circumstances -- specifically, our DSL connection has decided to go on something of a vacation. Thus we have no Interweb at Casa Jaquandor. Oh noes!

Of course, I will be doing everything humanly within my power to fix this problem, because not having Interweb is like not having...oh I don't know, coffee? Milk? Toilet paper? But obviously, until the Interweb is restored at Casa Jaquandor, posting here will be pretty much nonexistent.

I will be writing posts and saving them to disk and flash-drive so that when I am back online, content will flow again. I will be able to check my e-mail during my breaks while I am at The Store, so I won't be completely incognito. There are, however, a number of folks out there to whom I owe longer responses on some e-mails and comments left on old posts here; I hope you folks (who likely know who you are!) won't mind waiting for those responses.

Meantime, be excellent to one another! We'll be back as soon as we can.

UPDATE 11-25-07: Well, the problem appears to be fixed for now. I say "for now" because I'm not totally sure it's fixed, but after I last night put some recommendations I got from an Earthlink rep into place, our connection has been a lot more solid, only going off for a couple of minutes at a time, here and there, and it hasn't gone out at all in several hours as of this writing. Here's hoping.

(For the tech-heads out there, I'd feared that our DSL modem had conked out, and thus we'd be offline until I could get a new one. However, the Earthlink guy suggested removing the DSL filter between the modem and the wall-jack and just plugging the modem into the phone jack directly, and that seems to be working just fine. So instead of having both the phone and the DSL connection plugged into the same jack and using a filter to split the signal -- and leaving our other phone jack unoccupied -- I have the phone plugged into one, using a filter, and the DSL directly into another. I've also moved the modem the recommended distance from anything else that's electrical, although I never took that action in the first place, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but hey, why not.)

As for the blog, I'll remain quiet until tomorrow afternoon. The Burst of Weirdness will return next week. I'll also skip a week on Sentential Links, so that won't be running tomorrow afternoon either. Unidentified Earth will return to its Thursday schedule. And so on. (All this is, of course, contingent on our Interweb working right from here on out.)

1 comment:

teflonjedi said...

I was thinking of you and yours today...thought I'd stop in and comment.

Ah, you have reminded me of a common issue we have here in China, when calling the US. When on the phone, sometimes the signal just cuts out for 10-20 seconds at a time...usually when I'm talking with my bosses in the US office. Usually we pass it off with a joke: "China's moved into a low-coverage zone again." The internet gets "busted" every now and again...I'm not talking about the censorship thing, I'm talking about not being able to load photos from flickr, for about 1-2 days a week, for instance.

I've had to learn to cope with such things, being over here, but it is a pain, being out of touch in these ways.

Ah well.