Monday, January 29, 2007

Too bad they suck....

One of the towns adjacent to the one in which I live is called Hamburg, NY. A bit of the local lore of that particular burg is a claim that their town is the site where the quintessential American sandwich, the hamburger, was invented.

This guy says this is false, and that the hamburger as we know it today was invented by the guy who started the White Castle chain.

While I don't have much emotional investment in our local claim to have invented burgers, it does disappoint me that the thing was birthed by White Castle. That would be like learning that pizza was invented by Little Caesar's.

(If you can't tell from my tone, the mythic appeal of White Castle has always escaped me. Those little burgers of theirs are nasty.)

1 comment:

Call me Paul said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger