Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I shall call you collectively, "Sweetcheeks".

I don't usually post YouTube videos on this blog, but my admiration for Hugh Laurie demands that I make an exception. The guy is just golden. Here he is the other night, accepting his Golden Globe award for his work on House:


"I know everyone says they have a wonderful crew, and logically that can't be the case; we can't all be wonderful. Somebody somewhere is working with a crew of drunken thieves, but it's not me."

And for good measure, here's his equally hilarious and witty opening monologue from when he hosted Saturday Night Live some months ago:


"My bottom was much in demand at the Royal Shakespeare Company in the late 80s, although I didn't actually do Midsummer Night's Dream until 1994...So what can you expect from an Englishman, hosting an American comedy show? Well, firstly, humour...and when I say 'humour', I mean overly elaborate puns that may take you days to understand with very little payoff...."

Wow, I'd love to hear him in one of Shakespeare's comedies!

UPDATE: Apparently the first version of Laurie's acceptance speech was removed, so I've substituted another. You have to sit through all the "Here are nominees" stuff, it seems.

1 comment:

Call me Paul said...

The Golden Globes video is no longer available.