Tuesday, May 23, 2006

This is Hicks Country

Yup, it's season finale time for American Idol, and my fave Taylor Hicks has made it all the way to the end, up against Katherine McPhee, who is almost always decent but who never really excites me much. (I don't care how many people gush over it; that arrangement of "Over the Rainbow" is total crap.)

Anyhow, I had Taylor picked out way back in February, when I posted:

This may be the earliest year I've picked my "horse" on American Idol: I'm pulling for Taylor Hicks, the gray-haired blues singer. In all honesty, I don't think he's got a chance, but you never know.


That's right: you never know. The guy's proven to be a lot more confident, versatile, magnetic, and just plain fun than I had thought possible. I'm rooting for Taylor, hard.

My track record with Idol is 1-2. I didn't watch year one; I rooted for Clay Aiken in Year Two (he lost to Ruben Studdard, but has since done very well); I rooted for Fantasia Barrino in Year Three (she won, defeating Diana DiGarmo); I rooted for Bo Bice last year (he lost to Carrie Underwood). So we'll see.

I'm also going to shout out right now to the folks who have been hanging out over at Idol Tongues, a blog where we all have infected the comments threads with tons of snark each week. (Warning: if you peruse the threads there, be prepared for naughty words!) I wouldn't call myself a political soulmate of any of these folks, but that doesn't matter one bit, does it? So thanks to Beth, Ian, Timmer, Chris, Tammy, and anyone else from previous nights of Idol-istic snark. And thanks to Michele for creating Idol Tongues in the first place.

Go Taylor!

1 comment:

Pat said...

From the get-go, I was thinking that the final three would be Chris, Taylor and Katharine. Of course, I got two out of three on that one.

Katharine choked last night, I think. Singing two songs that she'd already performed before AND not as well as she'd done the first time really did her in, I think.

I didn't vote last night because, between the two, I'd like to see either one win.

Taylor had a good night, but I think they both seemed a bit stiff and forced.

Doesn't matter to me, though, because I'll buy albums from both.

As far as my AI track record, like you, I didn't watch the first season. And from that point on, I'm 0-3. I wanted Clay, I wanted Diana, and I figured Bo for last year (even tho I wanted Carrie).

What I'd like to see is for Katharine to do a real duet with Bocelli, like the spontaneous one she had with him a few weeks ago. She's got a powerful voice and would compliment him well, and he her.

DJ this morning on the radio said that they should have, simultaneous to AI a competition for songwriters and, when the winner for that competition is chosen two weeks prior to the finale of AI, their songs will be the debut singles for the two finalists.

I like that idea!