Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Sentential Links #40

I missed this weekly feature yesterday because of some unexpected stuff I had to do after work, so here we go. Invoking a theme of sorts for this week's edition, I'm pulling all of my Sentential Links from the blogs of SF and Fantasy writers (although the posts themselves aren't necessarily about Fantasy or SF). Click for context:

:: This is what happens when you let your kids read too much fantasy - they go and start writing it.

:: Periodically, when we were out sightseeing in that beautiful city, people would notice our fancy name badges, or overhear us chatting about the festival, and ask who we were. At first we mentioned our books, but, of course, the titles elicited blank stares. And so I started simply pointing to Norman and saying, "This man wrote an episode of Star Trek."

:: She glared at me. Her furious eyes said if I opened my mouth one more time with one more negative word, I'd have to pay for lunch. (No permalinks here that I can see -- it's the topmost entry as of this writing, or the one dated 3.7, if it's been moved down by the time you read this.)

:: Did you know that Darwinism is propagated by an international Jewish conspiracy? (You know, I heard that, but I was never sure about it. Now I know!)

:: I am looking forward to signing less and writing more during the rest of 2006. (We can only hope! Again, no permalinks -- scroll down to January 21.)

:: A young child with a soda and a packet of pop rocks! What could possibly go wrong?

:: Bradley created the world, and the outline of the history, when she was fifteen, and one of the charms of Darkover is that it has all the cool stuff you put into your worlds when you're fifteen and don't know any better -- breeding programs for psi powers that give you red-headed sorceresses, and aliens, and spaceports, and a low-tech metal-poor planet, and four moons, one of them peacock-tail coloured, and trackless wilderness, and Seven Domains, and amazons. And it also has all the things you put into the world to explain the things you put in when you were fifteen, like the consequences of the collision of all those things, and out of that arises complexity. It also has a depth of history, because Bradley's Darkover novels cover thousands of years.

:: My native language isn’t English.

The problem is, I don’t know what language my native language actually is.


:: He put his tongue into her mouth and whispered, "This is like what will happen when we really, you know, do it." (Ewwwwwww!)

:: How am I supposed to take over the internet if it keeps breaking?

Enough for this week. Tune in next week for the best posts containing the word "heebie-jeebies"!

No comments: