Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Hard to Port!

I may as well admit it: my instinct to oppose the Dubai port thing is because I simply don't trust George W. Bush. The man and his administration have yet, in my view, to author a single policy that isn't a colossal cock-up in one way or another, and based on past results, I see no reason to give the guy the benefit of the doubt on this one. Kevin Drum isn't sure the whole thing is that big a deal, and maybe he's right. But I just don't know.

I do know some things, however. I do know that it doesn't augur well that the President knew nothing about the deal until he read about it in the papers -- that is the picture of an engaged President with a keen interest in policy, I tell you. And I do know that after that, the President went true-to-form and basically said, "Respect mah authori-tah". I do know that it's kind of enjoyable watching Congressional Republicans struggle once again with the fact that this Administration just doesn't view Congress as being that important at all. And I know that the Republican talking point that opposition to this deal amounts to "Democratic racism" is utterly laughable. First, since there's quite a bit of Republican opposition to this deal, it raises the question as to whether those folks are racists too; and second, well -- I, for one, am not going to listen to lectures on racism from the party that makes Ann Coulter a featured speaker at its functions and regularly lauds the work of Michelle Malkin.

No comments: