Monday, December 05, 2005

A Return

I suppose it's time to make sure the plumbing still works around here and rip the plastic coverings off all the furniture. This blog has served me well in the nearly four years since I launched it. In future days I will probably have much more to say about Little Quinn, but for now, I feel like I should put something more "normal" in this space.

The world doesn't stop for a single death, or even a hundred or a thousand of them. It just can't. Around me I see mothers cradling newborns, or toddlers chasing after their fathers; I spent about twenty minutes on Friday afternoon -- after the funeral -- waiting in the line at the bank's driveup window; and Target is still maddeningly clogged with people buying lots o'stuff. The world doesn't stop, and neither should I.

Most of the extended family has returned to their respective homes: the in-laws, save my mother-in-law who's remaining for a few days more, have gone back to northern Idaho (with my brother-in-law's hometown apparently to be featured in a January episode of Extreme Makeover Home Edition, which will be nice since the town's previous claim to fame was when LA detective Mark Fuhrman bought a house there to get away from the bad press in the OJ Simpson case), and with my own sister having returned to her home in Colorado. It was wonderful to see everyone again. It's too bad that so often, the family can only gather to celebrate the newest absence.

Anyhow, I've just uploaded a few new photos to Flickr. These are from Little Quinn's funeral, which turned out to be an even more emotional affair than I had anticipated. He got quite the sendoff, though. I hope he heard the music, wherever it is that he's hanging out now. I'm kind of hoping that wherever that may be, he's tasting for the first time the special concoction that we had to pump into his stomach six times a day, and saying, "Ewwwwwwwww!"

And back to posting.

No comments: