Monday, October 31, 2005

Sunday Monday Burst of Weirdness (Halloween Edition)

I'm glad I waited a day before posting, because I was at a loss for a good Burst of Weirdness item until I visited Pharyngula a couple of minutes ago, and found this: a Halloween-based Jack Chick tract. Wow, that guy is out there. (Chick, that is. Not Dr. Myers.)

UPDATE: OK, I'm going to add a Supplemental Burst of Weirdness, even though it has nothing whatsoever to do with Halloween. Basically, I can't figure out where else to link this except for under the Burst of Weirdness, so here it goes.

Anyway, the last couple of days I've been seeing mentions of a guy named Leon Kass around Left Blogistan. The guy's got bizarre quotes being bandied about all over the place -- see Amanda Marcotte for a lengthy takedown -- but here's something that's just over-the-top, batshit crazy:

Worst of all from this point of view are those more uncivilized forms of eating, like licking an ice cream cone - a catlike activity that has been made acceptable in informal America but that still offends those who know eating in public is offensive.


The extended edition of this quote can be read here. Wow. I haven't read so bizarre a belief advanced by anyone since the first time I encounted the Objectivist Weirdo at the FSM Message Boards. Eating in public is offensive? I guess a trip to the pizza joint is out for Mr. Kass. Gotta be delivery, I suppose.

In a way, I wish I lived by this guy because I'd make a point of taking some food to his house and eating it on his front sidewalk every chance I had. Maybe I'd make fake-orgasm sounds too, while I was doing it.

(Actually, suddenly I remember a pretty nauseating passage from one of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books -- The Long Winter, if memory serves. The family got a bunch of periodicals of some sort in the mail, something they were really looking forward to reading, and one of the parents, maybe Ma, says something like, "Well, we shouldn't read all of them at once. We should save them so we can have one per day and make them last longer", or some such thing. And Mary Ingalls pops up and says, "I think that is a good idea. It will help us to practice self-denial." What fun Mary must have been at the annual Ingalls Christmas party....)

(Link via Majikthise.)

No comments: