Sunday, October 02, 2005

A stupid observation

I like to fill out the gaps in my DVD collection with the cheap-o DVDs I find on sale at places like Target or The Store. Not the super-cheap DVDs -- you know, the Westerns where the hero is played by "Jonn Wayne" -- but the regular movies that are on DVDs that sell for around eight bucks a pop. Lots of times, these are movies that are available (or soon will be available) on double-disc special editions with lots of extras and whatnot; but since I'm generally not one to spend lots of time looking at DVD extras (I have yet to watch any of the documentaries accompanying the Lord of the Rings extended editions), I'm fine with picking up the cheap-o DVDs.

What's funny is that a lot of these DVDs date from the late 1990s, when the format was just picking up steam. Yesterday I bought a DVD of As Good As It Gets, and I laughed when the back cover touted as a selling point "Interactive Menus!". It's sort of like how every so often the people who make Tic-Tacs will re-emphasize the Retsin stuff in the mints.

No comments: