Monday, October 24, 2005

Sentential Links #22

Time again, friends, to take folks across Blogistan out of context!

:: I am the company Data Bitch. Hear me roar.

:: I sometimes feel that if the increasingly expansive view of copyright asserted today had been around a couple of centuries ago, the Supreme Court would have ruled that lending libraries were illegal.

:: The belief in this Inward Light also animates the well-known Quaker committment to peace and social justice, but that's for another post, another day. (I think I should start studying Quakerism.)

:: I just want to know why the person in the linked article thinks fake boobs are just decorative. (I'm not sure how this blog showed up in my referrals, but I liked this post.)

:: One aspect of this series that I forgot to mention is that there are ten regular season wins that separate these teams.

:: I know so many kids who loved Holes by Louis Sachar but now dislike it (sorry Louis) because it has become the class novel unit. (Tell me about it. I had one teacher choke the life out of The Black Cauldron; another who eschewd Mark Twain in favor of Ordinary People, and so on. The most enjoyable English unit I remember from high school was when my junior-year teacher basically gave us all a big list of reading selections and told us to pick a number of items from the list to read, for report later. That was fun. This blog is brand-new to me, btw.)

:: This reminds me of a story about condoms from my Seattle days. (I like this blog a lot. It takes a pretty good writer to make a "One day in my life" kind of blog interesting.)

:: To make a replica of the world, you have to be able to see it. If you see it, you can model it. A novel is as much a replica of the world as a model railway. (OK, I've just now decided that I must have been grumpy when I read one of James MacDonald's books -- cowritten by Debra Doyle -- and didn't like it, because MacDonald's posts at Making Light are always terrific. And make sure you click through on Jim's post to see the pictures on the site that inspired him here. It's amazing model work. And really, this kind of post is exactly why tabbed browsing is so damned cool. And note to self: re-read The Price of the Stars.)

:: If you've never heard of Juhl, don't feel bad. (I have, but I hadn't heard of Juhl's passing. That's very sad, and even sadder is that I didn't know about it until randomly noodling through a blog's archives. Another new blog to me, by the way -- check out his Revenge of the Sith review, which marks him as a blogger of uncommon insight and intelligence.)

:: But if there's a corrollary to one bad apple not spoiling the barrell, it isn't one good one improves the whole lot to Grade A. (Yeah, the Lance Mannion installment for Sentential Link. Yeah, I always pick him. Get'cher own blog if it bothers you.)

:: When I got home I looked around and realized that, contrary to what a curmudgeonly visitor told me a few years ago, I DO have an aesthetic sense. It's just ... based on a strange principle. (My guiding principle for decorating is, "Can I put books on it?")

Enough for this week!

(Fair warning for next week: Sentential Links may be delayed because of that thing where I dress the kid up in a costume and then go around the neighborhood demanding candy from total strangers, lest I pelt their homes with eggs or some such thing.)

No comments: