Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Short Takes

Kinda busy today, so just some random bullet stuff:

:: Darth Swank is heralding a return to blogging. Hoo-ray.

:: I am now addicted to the FOX medical drama House, which views like if Scrubs were a drama and not a sitcom with Dr. Cox as its main character. House may end up replacing ER as my main fix for medical drama.

:: New definition of Chutzpah: Getting shown the back door at your managerial job for gross incompetence, and then getting hired on again at the exact same place as a consultant for just how bad things got at that job because of your gross incompetence. (Of course, you don't actually admit your gross incompetence. You find the nearest convenient person from the opposing political party and throw them under the bus, because that's what the talking points tell you to do.)

:: Official complaint about the New England Stupid Patriots, NFL Week Three, 2005 Season: Don't tell me that the StuPats aren't regular recipients of unbelievably good luck. (Yeah, yeah, they also had two major injuries in the same game. I'm not interested in debating the StuPats; only in bitching about them.)

:: Random NFL complaint: this crap about keeping information about player injuries as secret as possible is just getting absurd. Here's the latest example, which I think makes Bill Belichick look like an ass (not that this, in my opinion, takes much). But he's not alone: just try getting any member of the Bills' coaching staff or front office to come clean as to just what Roscoe Parrish's wrist injury actually is.

:: Distressed Jeans? Huh?! I always thought that the attraction of denim was that the stuff takes years to get that lived-in look and feel, and then retains that feel for years more. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

:: Via Alan (he of the "three or four readers", who must have each voted an awful lot of times in the Artvoice thing), I see that one possible design for a signature bridge to replace the Peace Bridge (the bridge from Buffalo to Fort Erie, Ontario) has been unveiled, here. (PDF). Always helpful on my end, though, here are the two pictures from the New Millennium Group document. First is the bridge leading into Buffalo; second is the bridge leading into Fort Erie. I assume they'll commission an actual artist to do better mockups, but for now these will suffice:

New Peace Bridge into Buffalo
New Peace Bridge into Fort Erie

Of course, any new bridge is contingent upon getting the US Customs people to actually staff the damned inspection booths on our side. In fact, I'd kind of like to see how the existing Peace Bridge traffic flow goes on a busy day when the US Customs side is fully staffed.

:: Don't forget about my quiz on cultural stuff, wherein I get to define what counts as being "cultured", here. In fact, this would be a fun game to pass around Blogistan -- everybody should make up their own quizzes along this line, sinc everybody has a different set of cultural stuff they call "home". (Yes, I know that this is a really badly-done metaphor. I don't feel like cooking up a new one.) Instead of everybody answering the same quizzes, everybody would answer everybody else's quiz, and everybody would have their own quiz answered. Or something like that.

:: Oh yeah, as of yesterday, my age equals Thurman Thomas's uniform number. Good old Squirmin' Thurman!

See you all tomorrow, I hope. I may find something better to do than blogging, you know. (Perish the thought....)

No comments: