Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Your dreams aren't big enough, my dear

The other day, Lynn Sislo started off a post thusly:

One of the items on my list of "Things I'm Going To Do If I Ever Win a Gazillion Dollars in the Lottery" is to buy about 50 different recordings of Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante for Violin and Viola (K364).


Gotta give her props for taste: Mozart accomplishes more sheer magic with the Sinfonia concertante in just thirty minutes than many composers do in hours.

I own two recordings of it. I don't play the studio recording with Christoph von Dohnanyi conducting Daniel Majeske (violin), Robert Vernon (viola) and the Cleveland Orchestra all that often, but it's nice. My prefered recording is Zubin Mehta conducting Itzhak Perlman (violin), Pinchas Zukerman (viola) and the Israel Philharmonic. This one is a recording of a live performance, and it's got just a bit more of that "live Mozart magic".

Of course, if I won a Gazillion Dollars in the Lottery, I wouldn't be buying recordings: I'd be commissioning them. All it takes is a dollar and a dream!

No comments: