Sunday, August 21, 2005

Sunday Burst of Weirdness

I love giving greeting cards to people I care about; it's just a nice way to express my appreciation for them, I think, and I put a lot of thought into what I write in them. I generally don't get bent out of shape over the price of cards, although there's always some older person willing to gripe that a birthday card used to be less than a buck. (Yeah, and so was a gallon of milk. Deal with it!)

Over the years, of course, the card industry has exploded so that every holiday or event has a card associated with it. But here's something I didn't expect: cards you can send to your soulmate...

(wait for it)

...when you're married to someone else.

Yup, it's the Secret Lover Collection:

The Secret Lover Collection is designed to capture and express the unique emotional bond and intensity between lovers involved in this type of relationship, allowing them to express their feelings for the first time through inspiring, emotion-driven, "me-to-you" greeting cards featuring distinctive original artwork.


Looking through the collection, they've put quite a bit of thought into the emotional realities of extra-marital affairs -- witness the Goodbye card, which you apparently give when the affair can no longer go on. Wow.

I don't want to seem like I'm picking on these folks, because I guess it's nice that someone is trying to acknowledge that this kind of thing is often driven by some very complex emotions (as opposed to, you know, those "special needs" we all have now and then), but...well, I don't really know what to make of this. Hence the weirdness.

What say you, Constant Readers? Good idea, or one more indication of the reduction of American emotional life to soundbites and morsels of feeling?

No comments: