Sunday, July 31, 2005

Sunday Burst of Weirdness

I have a friend at The Store who likes to quote movies and the occasional TV shows. Usually it's something I haven't seen, which generally has us agreeing that I'm horribly unschooled in the finer points of pop culture, with which I cannot disagree. Anyway, he recently came up to me and said the following (with punching emphases placed as indicated):

"I have a fever -- and the only prescription -- is more cowbell!"

I found this, of course, to be the oddest thing he's said all along, but he then explained it: there was a Saturday Night Live skit involving a Behind the Music special in which the Blue Oyster Cult, recording "Don't Fear the Reaper", is exhorted by a legendary rock producer to give the song "more cowbell".

I know, this sounds like just another goofy, and not very funny, SNL skit. However, I actually got to see the skit a week later, and I discovered why it's utterly hilarious: Will Farrell plays the band member whose sole job is to play the cowbell, and Christopher Walken is the producer who keeps stepping in to announce that he needs "more cowbell". Farrell is, of course, his usual funny self, but it's Walken who elevates the sketch to something special, by doing that "Christopher Walken" thing he does when he puts the emphasis in every sentence on a word that no one else would emphasize. Hence:

"I have a fever -- and the only prescription -- is more cowbell!"

Here's a transcript of that skit, and here's the actual "Sunday Weirdness", which isn't really "weirdness" per se so much as a surprising bit of coincidence: the current issue of Wired has a sidebar item that tracks "More cowbell!" as a pop-culture meme.

Anyway, I plan to use the phrase "More cowbell!" in everyday conversation, as much as possible.

(Oh, and it suddenly occurs to me that if God granted me the power to impel any celebrity to keep a blog, I'd name Christopher Walken. Anyone else have any ideas?)

No comments: