Sunday, July 10, 2005

Sunday Burst of Weirdness

OK, I was doing a bit of Googling and I came across this Christian fundamentalist site, which is pretty straightforward as Christian fundamentalist sites go -- not a whole lot of weirdness, but some outright creepiness (did you know that George W. Bush isn't Christian enough for some Christians?).

But I saw a link to something called the Confession Booth, and the old Weirdness Detector started ticking. I think it was the disclaimer ("The views represented in Confession Booth do not necessarily reflect the views of anybody but God") that did it. Sure enough, there's some good old flogging of the sinners there: homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, atheists...and "potty mouths" and "Democrats"! (I'm not kidding. Go look.)

Under "Liars", we find this advice: "YOUR ONLY HOPE is to SHUT THE HELL UP (James 3:5-6) and tell the truth." Well, telling the truth is certainly advisable, but did James really advise people to "shut the hell up"? Well, I'm not sure that's how I'd interpret that passage, but I'll give it to them. We're still not onto the real weirdness.

No, the Weirdness isn't to be found until you hit the "Divorced and Remarried" section. When you click through, you won't find any illumination of why divorce is so bad; nope, you merely find...well, you look. What a betrayal that must have been!

No comments: